Chris Weidman definitely didn’t get the result he wanted in his light heavyweight debut, and now there are plenty of questions about his future in the sport.
The former middleweight champion made the move up to 205 pounds and immediately jumped into a fight against a top-five ranked contender in Dominick Reyes.
It took Reyes less than two minutes to deny Weidman a successful debut. He dropped the ex-champ with a staggering left hand and followed with a pair of hammer fists that earned him a first-round TKO.
Afterwards, Weidman was hesitant to say much about his plans other than promising that he would return stronger in his next fight.
Unfortunately, Weidman has now lost five of his past six fights with all five losses coming by way of knockout. That’s why UFC president Dana White believes it might be time to sit down with the New York native to have a chat about what comes next.
“What he said tonight didn’t sound to me like he’s considering retirement,” White said at the UFC on ESPN 6 post-fight press conference. “So it’s a conversation that he and I definitely need to have.”
“This was his move up to light heavyweight, which obviously didn’t go well for him. So maybe he goes back down to middleweight, or thinks about maybe retiring.”
It’s been an incredibly tough run for Weidman, who first came into the spotlight with an undefeated run to start his UFC career followed by a stunning knockout against former middleweight champion Anderson Silva.
Weidman went onto defend the belt three times before losing the title to Luke Rockhold in the first loss of his career. Things haven’t gotten much better since then as Weidman has dealt with various injuries as well as four subsequent knockouts with his only win coming against Kelvin Gastelum in 2017.
Judging by White’s comments on Friday night, Weidman may need to take some time off before deciding what comes next for him following this latest setback.