MMA Junkie confirmed with a UFC official that the light heavyweight bout between Meerschaert (30-13 MMA, 6-5 UFC) and Herman (25-14 MMA, 12-10 UFC) will no longer take place on tonight’s card at UFC Apex in Las Vegas. As a result, the event proceeds with nine fights.
Brazilian news outlet Combate first reported that Meerschaert had tested positive for COVID-19 and was therefor deemed ineligible to compete, and the fighter subsequently confirmed the report and said he’s feeling well (via Twitter):
According to a report from TheScore.com, Meerschaert tested negative for coronavirus upon his arrival in Las Vegas on Tuesday. He passed subsequent temperate checks, then his test on Friday came back with a positive result. He was immediately isolated and retested on Saturday, which again came back positive. That’s when he was pulled from the fight.
Herman also reacted to the news on social media (via Instagram):
With the removal, the final UFC on ESPN+ 31 lineup includes:
PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 9 p.m. ET)
- Derek Brunson vs. Edmen Shahbazyan
- Joanne Calderwood vs. Jennifer Maia
- Randy Brown vs. Vicente Luque
- Bobby Green vs. Lando Vannata
- Trevin Giles vs. Kevin Holland
- PRELIMINARY CARD (ESPN+, 7 p.m. ET)
- Jonathan Martinez vs. Frankie Saenz
- Nate Maness vs. Johnny Munoz
- Vince Cachero vs. Jamall Emmers
- Cody Durden vs. Chris Gutierrez