Melania Trump responds to POTUS attack on Thunberg

Share With Your Friends
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn


First lady Melania Trump joins children at the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve's Toys for Tots Drive at Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling in Washington,  Dec. 9, 2019.

The Trump-vs-Greta Thunberg conflict continued Friday after first lady Melania Trump responded to accusations of anti-bullying hypocrisy by issuing a statement about her husband’s tweet attacks on the Swedish climate-activist teenager.

SEMrush

Greta Thunberg, 16, “who travels the globe giving speeches,” isn’t the same as her son Barron Trump, “a 13-year-old who wants and deserves privacy,” she said in the statement, according to The Associated Press.

The statement also acknowledged that she and President Donald Trump “communicate differently.”

The first lady was silent this week after the president mocked Thunberg, telling her in a tweet that she should “work on her anger management” and “chill” out. He was dismissive of Thunberg after she was named Time’s Person of the Year Thursday. 

First lady Melania Trump attends a Hanukkah reception in the East Room of the White House on Dec. 11, 2019.

The first lady’s critics on Twitter then chastised her for saying nothing even though last week she responded angrily to what she perceived as bullying of Barron, when his name came up during an impeachment hearing.

The first lady’s signature Be Best initiative includes campaigning against bullying of children on social media. 

As the criticism continued Friday, the White House responded with a statement issued by spokeswoman Stephanie Grisham.

President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump and Barron Trump, 13, who towers over his parents, walk across the South Lawn to Marine One on  Nov. 26, 2019, on their way to Florida for Thanksgiving.

In it, the first lady made a distinction between Thunberg, who has become world famous, and Barron, the president’s youngest child, who is rarely seen and never heard under media rules for covering presidential children under 18. 

“BeBest is the First Lady’s initiative, and she will continue to use it to do all she can to help children. It is no secret that the President and First Lady often communicate differently — as most married couples do. Their son is not an activist who travels the globe giving speeches. He is a 13-year-old who wants and deserves privacy,” Grisham’s statement said.



Source link

Share With Your Friends
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn