New Zealand terror attack: Heartbreak as man escapes mosque only to find wife dead outside | World | News

Share With Your Friends
Facebook
Google+
https://worldika.com/new-zealand-terror-attack-heartbreak-as-man-escapes-mosque-only-to-find-wife-dead-outside-world-news/
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Instagram


The man’s friend, Nour Tavis, who was also at the Mosque, said they had been praying in the Al Noor Mosque when they heard shots and fled the building. He said: “When she heard the noise she wanted to go and make sure her husband was safe. “She got the bullet, her husband got away. She was gone, she was no more.”

He added: “There was shooting and shooting and shooting.

“People were running and all of a sudden you saw them fall.”

A British woman living in New Zealand confirmed her friend was shot during the terror attack.

Stacy Silich, who moved to NZ from Barnstaple, Devon, said: “I can’t go into too much detail but I do know someone who was shot.

“They are currently in hospital awaiting surgery.”

So far, 49 people, many of them migrants and refugees, are confirmed to have died in the attack, in which gunmen opened fire during Friday prayers at two mosques in the city of Christchurch at 1.40pm local time (12.40am GMT).

At least 41 were killed at the Masjid Al Noor mosque in central Christchurch while at least seven people died inside the suburban Linwood Masjid Mosque, and one person died in hospital. In all, a total of 49 people were killed.

At least 20 others have been seriously injured.

One man in his late twenties has been charged with murder and is due to appear at a Christchurch court on Saturday morning.

Two men and one woman are also in custody over the attacks. 

Police believe one of the arrested may have had nothing to do with the incident and are working to understand what the involvement of the other two people may be.

One of the suspected attackers – Brenton Tarrant – appears to have live-streamed the attack on Facebook.

Police have urged the public not to share the “extremely distressing” material online.

The 28-year-old Australian described his anti-immigrant motives in a manifesto.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the national security threat level has been lifted from low to high, adding the shootings appeared to have been a well-planned “terrorist attack”.

She described it as “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”.



Source link

Share With Your Friends
Facebook
Google+
https://worldika.com/new-zealand-terror-attack-heartbreak-as-man-escapes-mosque-only-to-find-wife-dead-outside-world-news/
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Instagram