White House suggests it will back down on $5 billion border wall demand

Share With Your Friends
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn


White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders speaks to the media in the White House driveway after appearing on a morning television show on December 18, 2018 in Washington, DC.

Mark Wilson | Getty Images

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders speaks to the media in the White House driveway after appearing on a morning television show on December 18, 2018 in Washington, DC.

The White House suggested Tuesday that President Donald Trump’s could back down from his demand for $5 billion to fund his proposed border wall in a year-end spending bill.

Trump’s push for the money has threatened a partial government shutdown when funding for seven agencies lapses after midnight Friday. Last week, the president said he would be “proud” to close parts of the government over border security.

“We have other ways that we can get to that $5 billion that we’ll work with Congress,” White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told Fox News on Tuesday morning. She added that the Trump administration could support $1.6 billion in border security funding proposed by Democrats, as long as it can “couple that with other funding resources” to get to $5 billion.

This story is developing. Please check back for updates.

Subscribe to CNBC on YouTube.



Source link

Share With Your Friends
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn